In 1988, then President Ronald Reagan declared August 21 as National Senior Citizens Day… a day created to honor, support, and celebrate the wisdom and achievements of the seniors in our community.
We here at Power of Flowers believe that every day is Senior Citizens Day. A large majority of the recipients of our bouquets are senior citizens in nursing homes, retirement communities, health care communities, veterans homes, hospice centers, Meals on Wheels programs, senior centers… anywhere there are seniors in the Greater Merrimack Valley, most likely POF has made stops to deliver joy in the form of fresh flowers.
Just spending a few minutes with an older person can make his or her whole day.
Some things you can do to observe National Senior Citizens Day:
• Visit an elderly neighbor or a family member
• Drop by a senior center and engage with some of the folks there
• Make a commitment to volunteer at a retirement home or a nursing home
• Take a senior to lunch or on a picnic
• Take an elderly person for a ride and an ice cream
• Arrange to deliver Meals on Wheels in your community
• Practice random acts of kindness towards the older people you meet around town.
Here are some ways you can help the Power of Flowers Project spread the joy throughout the year:
• Become a POF volunteer
• Donate money
• Donate event flowers
• Remember the POF project when shopping on Amazon
If you ARE a senior citizen, look for special deals, promotions, and discounts at your local restaurants and shops. AND Have a GREAT DAY!
Seniors Enjoying One of Our Flower Therapy Workshops